Life in the Time of COVID-19
There are a lot of invitations to fear out there right now. Besides the virus, people are worried about the election, the environment, the stock market, and on it goes. Even reading that sentence might have elevated your blood pressure a few points.
Fear isn’t helping. It’s keeping your body on high alert, and that compromises your immune system and prevents you from thinking clearly. You can change that in an instant, simply by reminding yourself that you are safe in this moment. Rehearse peace of mind rather than fear.
I trust that you have read up on how to protect yourself from the virus. Here some things you can do to protect your state of mind.
- Limit your news intake. I’m not suggesting ignorance, but every time you engage with scary news reports, you are rehearsing fear. Find the quickest, most trusted news source and then turn it off when you have what you need.
- Mindfulness practices. This isn’t just meditation, its anything that brings you into the present moment. Walk in nature, play with your dog, listen to music, dance, cook something delicious, read something uplifting…
- Take care of your body. Sleep well, eat well, and get some exercise.
- Be social. Resist isolation. Stay in contact with friends and family.
- Tapping (also known as EFT). Tapping is a great way to calm your nervous system quickly. For more information, see this previous blog post https://lorikandelsmft.com/emotional-freedom-technique-tapping/